Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Where do I begin....

OK, so here I am in South Florida, Fort Lauderdale to be exact. South Florida is not my home; I came down here from Dallas for a company project that was supposed to be over in April of 2004. We are now approaching 2005, with little light at the end of the tunnel. I am not complaining I am setup in a good situation that most would die for. They pay for 2 trips home a month (home for wherever I Choose in the US), pay for company car and gas, pay for food and my apartment. My only complaint is that I get bored easy. We have a lot of down time right now, and searching the internet and reading blogs can only take up so much of the day, then there is a 2-hour lunch, I read my yahoo listing, then I guess you could call me a cubicle whore, I make my rounds about 3 times a day. I go from cubicle to cubicle and try to have interesting conversion, but it is hard when I am gay and very focused on my interests only. No, I mean I care about straight people I do, but sometimes they just don't understand my interests nor do I want to understand them, when I can barley understand myself.

I lucked out with this position, because it just so happens that my Best Friend also works for the same company and got the position also, so he is here with me as my home away from home, my sister, my gay bar hoping sista BritBrit. What would I do without her, maybe get some sleep, but it would not of been half as fun as she makes it. More stories about her to come, she is a mess, but I love her.

I really wished I had started this journal a year ago; I have so much to catch up on. Oh lord where do I begin, I call these chronicles “Tragic Moments in South Florida.

#1
August 4th 2003 we leave for Fort Lauderdale for the start of the project. So BritBrit meets me at the airport LATE, I get so stressed about getting to the airport late especially since 9/11 it takes FOREVER to get through security. She shows up in ripped up Hollister Jeans, flip flops, a gay t-shirt, with a sweater tied around his waist, Marilyn Monroe shades, and this is the best part, with his Winnie the Pooh Bear in his arms smacking his gum like he is Britney Spears. I am like we need to be professional here, who knows how many people we will meet that are flying in for the project. I am the uptight one and she is the relaxed one with not a care in the world.
This is the first time I have had to travel for work and it was very rushed, we both forgot to make our car reservations, and just figured we could just get them once we got into Lauderdale. Well, we land, get to the car rental place and the reservation system is down. It is now 6pm Sunday night, we wanted to get settled in and have a restful nights sleep before we meet everyone on Monday. They assure us the system will be up soon, so we wait. 9pm roles around and we are still waiting, we decide to take a taxi to the hotel and unpack, then come back when the system is back up. The car rental place feels so bad they want to give us a courtesy ride to the hotel, hold on while we get a driver for you, 10:30pm roles around and we are in route to our hotel and as we pull into the hotel my cell phone rings and amex travel tells me they have made us another reservation with someone else and we can now pick up our cars now. We turn around, go back to the airport and wait in another long line, but by 11:30pm we have out rentals and are back on our way to the Westin Fort Lauderdale, on the website the market there Heavenly Beds and that was the only thing that was on my mind at this time. We walk into the hotel all tore up looking from waiting for hours on end, as the cute bell boy is trying to figure out why we have 9 large bags, and why I keep staring at him and his chest, he loads the bags and takes us to the room. While in route we spot a total hottie, I mean muscle from head 2 toe, gorgeous face with a great smile. BritBrit and I are laughing and being loud to bring as much attention to ourselves as we can, to try and figure out if he is gay. Well we get in the elevator and I make the comment about my company and Hottie says oh you guys are here for the project, I am like great see I told you we should of dressed less gay. We chatted him up a bit and retired to our rooms, we spent almost an hour deciding if he was gay or not, turns out he is not, but likes to experiment. So I am thinking, ok so we can get him drunk, nope he is a recovering alcoholic, damn it. A year later he is a total sweetheart and has become a great friend. This is my first Tragic Moment in South FL. More to come……

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW....It sounds like you really lucked out. Word of advice..Take advantage of the situation..Don't just sit at home but enjoy life to it's glory. I can't wait to read about your adventures and about that amazing britbrit. She sounds like a hoot and you are very lucky to have each other. :)